Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Reflection



My brief visit to Mistretta, Sicily was an absolutely unique experience that I will forever cherish. My own self-criticism is the fact that I was too stubborn to attempt, at a minimum, an elementary understanding of the language. I now realize that the visit would have been even more memorable had I taken the time to enable myself to communicate with the citizenry. However, although initially wary, the hospitality shown towards two wayward visitors was truly heartwarming. So, to anyone planning a visit to share their heritage, I suggest that before your visit, you learn as much as you can about your family background from family members in preperation for the journey. An elementary understanding of basic language will also make your visit more meaningful. However, given the opportunity to visit your homeland, by all means, please take the opportunity to do so. You will never regret it.

No comments: